California Wildfire Mitigation Program
What Does the California Wildfire Mitigation Program Provide?
- Wildfire Home Hardening includes retrofitting homes with ignition-resistant materials and creating defensible space around homes and communities.
- Community and homeowner wildfire education on defensible space and home retrofitting.
- A framework that can be modeled throughout California communities.
- Financial assistance to support home hardening work for homeowners who qualify for the program.
Select counties were prioritized as pilot areas for this Program after conducting a statewide analysis at the parcel and census-tract level of areas with high wildfire risk and social vulnerability. Fire risk, climate change risk factors, and census data were included in the analyses. The program will expand to additional counties in the future.
The six social vulnerability factors prioritized for this Program include:
- Residents in poverty
- Residents with a disability
- Residents over 65 years of age
- Residents under 5 years of age
- Residents with language barriers
- Residents without a car
The analysis used social vulnerability data from the Center for Disease Control Social Vulnerability Index (2018) and only considered census tracts in the Fire Hazard Severity Zones.