Beginning January 1, 2019, the THIRA and SPR process will now be handled by the Cal OES Policy Office. For assistance, please contact:
Sarah Poss Chief, Policy Office California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services Office: (916) 845- 8981 Email: Sarah.Poss@caloes.ca.gov
The Threat and Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment (THIRA) and Stakeholder Preparedness Review (SPR), formerly known as the State Preparedness Report, were submitted to FEMA by the 12/31/2018 deadline.
(916) 845- 8799
Every community has an obligation to understand the risks it faces. Knowledge of these risks allows a community to make informed decisions about how to manage risk and develop needed capabilities. Risk is commonly thought of as a product of a threat or hazard, the vulnerability of a community or facility to a threat or hazard, and the resulting consequences that may impact the community or facility. By considering changes to these elements, a jurisdiction can understand how to best manage risk exposure.This Threat and Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment (THIRA) guide provides a comprehensive approach for identifying and assessing risks and associated impacts. It expands on an existing local, tribal, territorial, and state Hazard Identification and Risk Assessments (HIRAs) and other risk methodologies by broadening the factors considered in the process, incorporating the whole community throughout the entire process, and by accounting for important community-specific factors.Source: FEMA Comprehensive Preparedness Guide 201: Threat and Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment and Stakeholder Preparedness Guide, May 2018
THIRA/SPR 2017: During the 2017 process, stakeholders were able to revise 23 of the 32 capability targets (72%). The remaining nine capability targets (28%) continued to be frozen. The 2017 THIRA and SPR were submitted to FEMA by the 12/31/2017 deadline.
THIRA/SPR 2016: The 2016 THIRA and the State Preparedness Report was completed and submitted to FEMA on time to meet the 12/31/2016 deadline. The THIRA targets were frozen and a new target for Fire Management was developed.
National Preparedness Resources Library
THIRA/SPR 2015: California utilized the 2014 THIRA Steps One through Three for the 2015 State of California THIRA. In 2015, THIRA Step 4 asked stakeholders to estimate resources for all of the capabilities to help inform the State Preparedness Report. These reports were submitted on time for the 12/3/2015 deadline.